Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Family in New Hampshire

Have you seen the news? Most of Mass. and NH received a walloping ice storm and have basically "left the building". There is no power and there might not be for another week at least. Pipes are freezing and bursting, lines and trees are down, and people are cold and hungry. If you have a well, there's no running water. There are no generators left and no fuel to power them as none of the gas stations are open. My Dad just turned 82 last week and today he's throwing out all the food in the fridge that has gone bad. My Mom always has batches of home-baked beans, soup stock, and sauce (made from Dad's garden tomatoes) in the freezer. Maybe it will stay cold enough in the cellar... So they're staying with my one niece who still has power and I'm sure they'll be fine if the wine stays chilled! Tomorrow my husband is bringing up a generator and some fuel so they can go back home to the cat. (!) Her water bowl is probably frozen!
So although you can't do anything for them, I'm asking you to give a little gift to the Red Cross (who provides disaster relief), to your local food bank, or to Toys for Tots. Sometimes it helps to visualize just who you might be helping.

2 comments:

Luke Richard said...

awwwwww. :) how nice! Papa just turned 83 though :) You made Nana cry ... abd she hasnt even had any wine tonight!

Luke Richard said...

papa just said "oh I thought she said ask them to donate to us not the red cross" hahahah and can you change his age to 79? :)